Thursday, May 23, 2013

Be Thankful for What You Have

As most of you know, there was a destructive EF5 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. I live in Northwest Arkansas so they are covering the story extensively, like most news stations. Every time I see someone from Moore being interviewed I'm amazed at their resilience and appreciation. This town has been through 2 other tornadoes. One of which had the highest wind speed recorded on record.

One man was interviewed, he had been filming the tornado and got into his storm shelter. When he came out of the storm shelter, his house was gone. He didn't get upset, he didn't break down and cry. The first things he said was that he was glad his family made it out safe. Two days after the tornadoes, there were storms and flooding rain that came through the town of Moore also. A lady was standing in her living room, parts of her roof had been ripped off and it was raining in her house. She said she was lucky, she knew other people who were worse off than she was. Now, think about half of the people you know...would they be standing in their living room while the rain was coming in through a hole and call themselves lucky?

We all need to learn a lesson from these people. They don't see the things they don't have. They see and appreciate everything they do have. In this day and age everything is "want, want, want". We need to step back and say "wow, look at all these things I have".  I am appreciative of everything I have. My car is 11 years old and it's broken down a few times, but, I'm glad I have it. My house may not be as big as I want, but, I'm glad I have it.

Tonight, my boyfriend, Joe was complaining about the grandparents always wanting to see our daughter...REALLY!?!?!?!? I am so thankful for people wanting to be in our daughter's life. I'm happy we have parents and grandparents who are still alive and want to see our daughter. Again, be thankful for what you have and don't take it for granted. You never know what will happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment