Monday, May 6, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness

By the time I was 8, my parents were divorced. During Christmas, weekends and other holidays, my time was spent between my parents. I remember one particular Christmas with my dad. I was so excited to go to my grandmother's house because that meant more presents. But, on the way, there was a car pulled over on the side of the road and there were a few elderly people standing outside the car. I remember my dad asking me "You think we should go back and help them?". Being 8 and ready to open Christmas presents, I absent mindedly said "nah".  Inspite of what I wanted to do, he said "come on, it's Christmas" and made a U-turn in the middle of the highway.  He got out and asked what was wrong and if he could help. It turned out he knew the people in the car and they wern't in an emergency, they had just pulled over. Although everything was okay, that day taught me a lesson. I learned that you should try to "do good" everywhere you go.

Everyday when I'm driving home from work, I always see this homeless guy on the corner of a busy intersection. I see a sleeping bag, a chair and a bunch of stuff that I see as trash. One day I got to thinking, "I wonder if he sleeps out there, on the ground?". Sure enough, the next morning when I drove by, he was on that same corner, asleep on the sidewalk. In an earlier post, I commented that it snowed during May. During this morning, I drove by the same intersection like always. This guy was asleep on the ground and there was a layer of snow covering him and his sleeping bag. I contiuned on my way to work, I had forgotten my breakfast and drove through McDonalds. I ordered what I usually order for breakfast. The thought of that guy sleeping on the ground in the snow just took a hold of my heart, I couldn't stop thinking about him. When I got to the window to pay, I asked "Can I add to my order?". I ordered him the same thing I always get, a sausage biscut and an order of hash browns. I drove back to where he was sleeping and left the McDonalds bag right there on the ground in the snow. I haven't told anyone until this post.

That Christmas day, when I was 8, taught me a life-long lesson. It doesn't take much to help someone. When I was 26, I learned a life-long lesson.  It might take $2.00 and 5 minutes, but it might help somone. I hope I can teach my daughter the same things my dad taught me about helping people. I want to lead by example.

It doesn't take much to help somone.

No comments:

Post a Comment