Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chores for a 4 year old... a system that works for us!

I came to the realization it was time to teach Olivia some responsibility. I decided to "pay" her for helping me out around the house. She will get a quarter for cleaning the living room, her room or for randomly helping me without being asked. When she cleans the living room, I give her a quarter. When she cleans her room, I give her a quarter. By doing this, she can earn at least a dollar a day. Her reward is immediate. She has a jar she puts all of her money in when she gets it. She loves taking her money out and seeing how many quarters she has!

Once a week, we go to the store and she gets to pick out what she wants to buy with her money.  She took a purse in the store and got to shop around. She decided to get a pack of watermelon gum. I was shopping this day also, I put all of my things on the conveyor belt. We got the little divider bar and put it between our purchases and she put her gum on the conveyor belt too. I had to help her count out her money but other than that, she did all of it herself. She talked to the cashier, waited on her change and got her receipt. She got some change back and I told her to keep it.  Next week she might be able to get a toy or more candy. When we were leaving she said "This is some pretty big kid stuff".

When we got in the car she was so excited!  She said "I can't wait to tell daddy about what I bought today with my money!".  Everyday since then she has wanted a piece of her gum. She is so proud. 

On another day, she still had some money and she wanted a sonic drink. She told me what she wanted and we rehearsed what to say a few times. I let her push the button and she ordered her drink. Again, the only thing I helped her with was counting out the money.

Giving her immediate reward (quarters) for helping me around the house and letting her choose what she wants to buy gives her complete ownership of her chores and rewards. I haven't had any trouble getting her to clean her room or pick up her toys in the living room. In the past, this was always a fight and I ended up doing it all. By having her pick up the living room and her room every night, things don't accumulate to the point she can't handle it. This system is working very well for us in my house and I recommend trying this with your preschool aged child.

No comments:

Post a Comment